Friday, January 27, 2012

One of my first pieces

Hello, there! I haven't forgotten about you, I promise. Still getting over being sick and not yet in the swing of things. But I thought I had better post something or I might as well not have a blog at all, right?

Anyway, today I want to share one of the first pieces of furniture I painted, the standing mirror in my bedroom. I was inspired by Kelsey over at Tattered and Inked. She had a similar mirror that she painted and it looks great. I didn't take many pics at the time and the quality isn't very good but here's what it looked like before (I had already taken it apart to paint):
Just your basic standing mirror in a cherry finish.

Here's what it looks like now:
After I took it apart, I glued on a couple of wood pieces to the top and bottom of the mirror to dress it up a bit. I then painted it using two different colors from paint samples that I already had. I did this because I knew I was going to distress it and I wanted the undercoat to show through. The first layer was a very pretty robin's egg blue. I then took a white shade called Swiss Coffee (again in a sample size) and put on a couple of coats of that. When it was dry, which didn't take long because the paint was in a flat finish, I took my trusty sanding block and lightly distressed the edges and corners, making sure the first layer of blue showed through. Here's a detailed pic of one of the wood pieces. I tried to get a good shot of the blue showing through but I don't know if you can see it:


This is one of the first pieces I did and I must say I think it looks pretty good. I have actually done another mirror since then that I like even better. I'll show you that one in another post.

Well, that's it for today. I hope you have a wonderful Friday and I'll see you next time. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment